The Pearl District is an area of Portland, Oregon, formerly occupied by warehouses, light industry and railroad classification yards and now noted for its art galleries, upscale businesses and residences. The area has been undergoing significant urban renewal since the mid-1980s when it was reclassified as mixed use from industrial, including the arrival of artists, the removal of a viaduct and construction of the Portland Streetcar. It now mostly consists of high-rise condominiums andwarehouse-to-loft conversions.
The area is home to several Portland icons, including Powell’s City of Books. The former Weinhard Brewery, which operated continuously from 1864 to September 1999, was shut down by Stroh’s upon the purchase of the Weinhard’s brand by Miller Brewing and sold for redevelopment as the Brewery Blocks. Art galleries and institutions (many who stage monthly receptions), boutiques, and restaurants abound, and there are also a number of small clubs and bars. The United States Post Office main processing facility for all of Oregon and southwestern Washington was built in the Pearl District in 1964, next to Union Station. This location was chosen in order for the post office to be able to better serve towns outside the Portland metro area.
- Jamison Square (2002) is built around a fountain which simulates a tidal pool that is periodically filled by artificial waterfalls and then drained into grating.
- Tanner Springs Park (2005) is a re-created natural area featuring wetlands, a walking trail, and creek.
- The Fields Park (2013) is a Neighborhood and Dog Park in the Northern part of the Pearl. The Park provides space for visual or performing arts, for community-building activities and has a large paved walking loop.For further information contact Ted J. Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org